Through the use of role play and stories, addictive disorders pioneers Claudia Black and Terrance Gorski describe two particular players in an addictive relationship, the Counter-dependent and the Co-dependent and guide the viewer to an understanding of compulsive relationships. Terry role plays the counter-dependent which today we often recognize as the narcissist. The counter-dependent is:
- Grandiose – with unrealistic goals and exaggerated sense of self importance and power fantasies.
- Extremely independent, trusting themselves and no one else; in constant need to prove themselves.
- Self Centered ”’ preoccupied with own needs; don’t care what others feel; exploitative.
- Intrusive ”’ entitled and aggressive.
As Terry role plays these traits, Claudia dialogues with him from her role as the codependent ”’ the dependent personality. The codependent is:
- Insecure ”’ chronically care-taking others; unworthy; fearful; quick to give credit to others.
- Overly dependent ”’ with impoverished expectations; exaggerated sense of importance of others.
- Other Centered ”’ easily exploited; over sensitive to needs of others; receptive; unrealistically tolerant and passive.
The viewers are provided with significant information so that they may begin in-depth discussions of addictive relationships and start the recovery process towards forming a healthy relationship. The information contained in this video is an essential building block for those individuals and couples who are involved in constructing healthy relationships.”