By: Tom Shanahan, Personal Trainer and Sports Nutritionist
From the Spiritual Adrenaline point of view, the foods we chose to eat, or not eat, during the holidays can either enhance or undercut our efforts to stay sober.
As the holidays approach, you may start craving some sweet holiday dishes. But if you are trying to keep your treats healthy, here are two recipes with the ingredients modified.
A tasty little treat that you can whip up in a matter of minutes.
Total preparation time twenty minutes (not including freezing). Serves four to six.
¼ cup pumpkin flour (gluten free)
½ cup pure pumpkin puree
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup chickpeas (rinsed and dry)
½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
Nutmeg or other spices of your choosing
– Blend chickpeas, pumpkin puree, and unsweetened applesauce until smooth in food processor. Combine mixture with pumpkin flour and pumpkin spice until it forms a “dough” (like a pizza crust before cooking)
– Divide into small balls and place on parchment paper on a plate or baking sheet
– Put in the freezer for two hours
– Then either freeze or refrigerate
This healthy and delicious treat brings in the colors of the Christmas holiday, red and green, and makes a perfect dessert that is delicious and really good for you.
Total preparation time thirty minutes. Serves two to four.
It’s really that simple. If you want to fancy it up, buy a sorbet or ice cream maker. However, it’s not necessary to create this version of a decadent and delicious treat.
2 cups fresh kiwi pealed and washed
2 cups fresh raspberries washed
Nutmeg, cinnamon, or other spices of your choosing
Sweeten to your preference with Stevia, xylitol, or agave (5 to 6 tbsps. recommended)
– Blend raspberries and spices in blender (do the same for kiwi separately to maintain the holiday colors)
– Add sweetener to preference
– Blend on high until the mixture becomes thick and then freeze.
– Repeat for kiwi and enjoy!
If you would like more information on the nutritional value of the ingredients used in these desserts, my book, Spiritual Adrenaline: A Lifestyle Plan to Nourish and Strengthen Your Recovery has more details and will be available for purchase in January 2019. You can pre-order this book here.
In my next blog, I will be sharing recipes for pumpkin spice flax muffins snaps and sweet potato and chocolate sea salt chips.